Tuesday, January 11

a few things I miss

I was just thinking about missing our beautiful 1917 house in Hawley, MN. Here are a few of my favorites:

I miss our gorgeous dining room. We took off an old wallpaper border when we first moved in. And little by little we made more improvements. With the window seat and the built-in buffet on the left, this was always my favorite room in the whole house!
The front porch may have trumped it, however, after we put a whole new ceiling in--complete with crown moulding, and painted the trim, walls, & floor! Such a lot of work. (Thanks, Ben.) The blue wall color turned out amazingly well.

There are definitely other rooms I miss (perhaps even our fabulous--or not-so-fabulous--orange kitchen countertops). But definitely a favorite memory was unloading a truck-full of fire wood into the garage for our wood-burning boiler & fireplace! We had so much fun doing this. At this point we'd only owned the house for about a month, and we were giddy about it.

Sigh. Some days I would give anything to be tearing up linoleum, or scraping paint off the old garage, or painting cabinets, or taking a wall out! Now I guess I'm supposed to be praying that this old house will sell. But...I do miss it, all of it.

No comments: