Tuesday, September 20

rock of ages

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law's demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.
hymn by Reverend Augustus Montague Toplady written in 1763

As I was singing in church on Sunday, this hymn really got to me, to my core, thinking as I sang about running to Him for comfort because I cannot do it on my own. I worshipped at the thought {last verse} of being able to run for safety to the Rock Who, get this now, is on the judgment throne. How powerful is that! Why would I run to my ultimate Judge for comfort & safety? Because He is Jesus. In His beautiful eyes, I owe nothing, He took care of it all.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I love you. And this hymn. But especially you.

Candace Nelson said...

Courtney, you are absolutely sweet, I love you too!

Courtney said...

The new background is fun! I just noticed it. So observant of me I know.